One Day in Lima The 10 Best Things To Do2019 Update: Lima has so much to offer, being one of the largest cities in South America and with a long history behind it. If you’re only here for a short amount of time and looking for something to do, here are the 10 Best Things To Do in Lima in one day!
If you want to escape Lima for just a day, check out our DAY TRIPS FROM LIMA, where you can see sea lions, penguins, sand dunes and even a unique Desert Oasis, all in just one day!
1. Free Walking Tour LimaThey say the best way to truly discover a place is through the eyes of a local and Lima is no exception. Explore the capital city with Free Walking Tour Lima where you’ll experience the culture and history that led to present-day Lima. Tours depart daily at 9:50 am from the Tourist Information Center located in Miraflores. From there, the tour heads off to the historical center of Lima to some of the most renowned spots in the capital city where the guides explain, in detail, the history of each of those places. Alternatively, you can take on the tour of Miraflores, which leaves daily at 3 pm from the Tourist Information Center.
2. Swim with Sea Lions at the Palomino’s IslandWildlife lovers can’t miss this adventure whilst visiting Lima – What better way to spend your day than by swimming alongside sea lions, spying birds and Humboldt penguins! The Palomino’s Islands are home to large colonies of seabird. This fantastic tour in Callao can be booked on FindLocalTrips.com; Get in the boat and explore these islands full of life!
3. MirabusGo around Lima on one of Mirabus’ panoramic buses and enjoy the view of the city while learning about its history. You can choose to either sit on the first floor to have a more peaceful experience or on the second floor to see more of the capital. Tours are daily (day & night) and all of them depart from Parque Kennedy located in Miraflores. You can choose from visiting the historic center at day or night, discovering Pachacamac also known as Lima’s Machu Picchu and much more!
4. Circuito Magico del Agua (Water Fountain Park)Parque de la Reserva is a beautiful park and a nice place to visit during the day but at night this park becomes truly magical. Once night time comes, their famous fountains light up and make for a truly spectacular sight. The entry fee is 4 Soles and it is well worth it to see these beautiful lights. If you are only spending one day in Lima, the fountains are the ideal choice for you.
5. LarcomarThis shopping center is one the most popular attractions that travelers visit when they are in Lima. It is located in Miraflores, one of the nicest neighborhoods in Lima. Built into the side of the cliff and mostly underground, this mall makes for quite the sight. It has incredible views of the Pacific Ocean and is perfect to spend an afternoon shopping for some great Peruvian Gifts and Souvenirs.
It has some of the most exclusive shops in all of Peru as well as restaurants and bars. Great place to treat yourself while in Lima or to enjoy the view of the coast during the day or night!
6. Bicycle Tours of LimaWith its green parks and the cliffs overlooking the ocean, Miraflores is also the perfect place to go for a bicycle tour. These eco-friendly tours can be booked in the mall, in Larco Street and online on FindLocalTrips and they will take you along the Cliffside. You can take a tour into the center of the city, along the cliffs, do an urban tour or even combine your cycling trip with surfing! Prices range between $30 and $70 for a few hours or a full day depending on the tour you take. Definitely check out the different packages to find the tour that best suits you.
7. Huaca PucllanaGet up close and personal with pre-Inca history. These incredible ruins are located right in the heart of Miraflores, and are a window into history. There is also a world class restaurant within the ruins, where you can enjoy Peruvian food from every corner of the country. Visit at night for an unbelievable view of the ruins lit up.
8. Paraglide by the coastIf the view of coast of Miraflores, Barranco and San Isidro is beautiful from sea level, imagine having a bird’s eye view of the whole thing! Not as extreme as it sounds, paragliding by the coast is the perfect day activity to catch the green areas, ocean and the urban buildings of Lima’s coast with a 360° view.
9. BarrancoThis district is probably the coolest place in Lima and the perfect escape from Miraflores for a couple of hours. Barranco has great historical architecture and a blooming art scene. At night, Barranco transforms into Lima’s party district with great restaurants and themed alternative bars for Peruvians and foreigners alike. One of the most interesting places to see, is Puente de los Suspiros. This bridge lies in the main part of the district where it connects two main streets. It is said that if you can cross the bridge while holding your breath, your wish will be granted.
Another great location is the MATE museum that was founded by famous Peruvian fashion photographer Mario Testino. Located in a restored 19th century mansion, the museum exhibits the best of national and international contemporary art and photography. The museum offers guided tours, workshops and talks. A great way to get around this wonderful place and ensure that you see as much it as possible is with a Bike tour of Barranco.
10. Escape From LimaFancy discovering a unique desert oasis? Or the “Poor Man´s Galapagos” full of sea lions and penguins? Take a short round trip from Lima to Paracas and Huacachina. Escape From Lima run 1 day, 2 day and 3 day short round day trips from Lima and are a great way to see and do a lot whilst basking in the all year round sunshine that exists south of Lima.
…The places above are just a handful of activities and places to visit, in reality there are many more. Lima can seem like a difficult city to navigate – it is! So make sure you look up where to go and how to get there. Lima is big, chaotic and every district has its own identity and charm. One of the best features of this enormous capital, is its high cliffs and views over the Pacific ocean. Even if you are only spending one day in Lima, there is always something to discover in this wonderful city.
If you want to keep planning your trip to Peru, then check out the best way to get from the airport to Miraflores!