Our 2017 detailed guide to Buggy and Sandboarding in Huacachina from how to get there, what to do, what to bring, and all your frequently asked questions.
Buggy and Sandboarding Brief Summary:
- Huacachina, the only desert oasis in South America, is also the hotspot for buggy and sandboarding in Peru!
- Huacachina is home to the largest sand dunes in South America, perfect for sandboarding!
- Sandboarding can be done standing up or lying down on your stomach face first (recommended).
Below we have created our extensive guide to Buggy and Sandboarding based on our expert local knowledge having helped to transport over 30,000 travellers here since our formation in 2013.
Buggy and Sandboarding Guide Contents:
1. How to get to Huacachina – Compare transportation options.
2. Buggy and Sandboarding Tour Information – Check start time, prices, and more.
3. Did you know? – Huacachina Buggy and Sandboarding fun facts.
4. What to bring to the Buggy and Sandboarding Tours – Be prepared for your tour.
5. Buggy and Sandboarding FAQ – We answer your frequently asked questions.
6. Photo Gallery – A few of the best photos of the Buggy and Sandboarding.
How to get to Huacachina
How to get to Huacachina:
Huacachina is home to the best Buggy and Sandboarding in Peru. Peru Hop is the only bus service in Peru that stops in Huacachina desert oasis and not just to Ica the nearest city.
If you are looking for information on the best buses to take to Huacachina, visit our passes page. Select your departure city, the countries you want to visit, and amount of time you have to travel. Then browse our passes to see which include your desired stop in Huacachina.
Buggy and Sandboarding Tour Information
Buggy and Sandboarding Tour Information:
Peru Hop does not operate any Buggy and Sandboarding Tours. To see Peru Hop’s recommended operators for this tour read below.
Buggy and Sandboarding Tour with Casa de Arenas
Price: S/.50 soles (or $15 USD)
Times: Every day at 16:30pm
Duration: 2 hours
Meeting Point: Casa de Arena Hostel – 15 minutes befor departure time
Special deal for Peru Hop Passengers – Tours booked with Casa de Arena via FindLocalTrips.com allow date changes up until the evening before your tour begins at no extra cost.
If you are looking for information about Buggy and Sandboarding Tours, visit FindLocalTrips.com where you can compare itineraries, operators and prices.
Did you know?
Did you know?
- It is possible to do the Buggy and Sandboarding Tour and catch the Peru Hop bus to Lima on the same day.
- Huacachina is the only natural formed oasis in South America!
- Peru Hop is the only bus company to go directly into Huacachina. Other companies only go as far as the nearby city of Ica from where you must take a taxi in order to get to Huacachina.
- Huacachina is as popular with local Peruvians as it is with international visitors and has a great atmosphere, especially on weekends. This in turn means that booking accommodation ahead of time is advisable around weekends and holidays, especially if private rooms are required.
What to bring to Buggy and Sandboarding
What to bring to Buggy and Sandboarding:
- Comfortable clothes
- Lightweight trousers to protect the knees should you wish to go down lying down.
- Closed-toe shoes recommended (no flip-flops)
Buggy and Sandboarding FAQs
Buggy and Sandboarding FAQs:
Is it possible to do the Buggy tour on the same day that I will depart Huacachina for Paracas/Lima at 18:30pm?
Yes, it is possible. The Buggy tour starts at 16:00pm and lasts for 2 hours, so you will be back at around 18:00pm. At certain time of the year the tour is moved 30minutes later to ensure you catch the sunset on the dunes, this is done in co-ordination with the Peru Hop bus. If you are booked on the bus, we will wait for you to come back from the tour even if there are any delays.
Is Sandboarding safe?
Sandboarding is safe provided that you are responsible, so take it easy as each year there are accidents from people going too fast. You will not come out winning versus a sand wall.
Are the buggies Safe?
Yes, the buggies of our recommended operator are extremely safe. Their drivers will make sure you have a lot of fun but never take any risks, and all seats have a seatbelt to ensure you are strapped in safely. Not all operators have safe modern buggies so it is important to be careful when booking tours.
Can I drive the buggy myself?
No, it is not possible to drive the buggies. All of the drivers are certified, you cannot drive a buggy through the dunes without certification and special permits. You will understand why once you have done it!
I want to spend longer Sandboarding, can I hire boards per day?
Yes. For those wishing to hop off in Huacachina and perfect their board skills there are a number of places in town where you can hire the boards yourself by the hour or half/full day.
I was late and missed my tour. Can I change it for tomorrow?
Unfortunately, if you turn up late and miss the sandboarding tour, the operator will still charge the full price for the NO SHOW as your seat was reserved in the buggy and not sold to anyone else. If you would like to book the tour again for the next day then you can do it, but you will have to pay a second time. Tours can be cancelled up to 4 hours before the scheduled departure.