Lake Titicaca Half Day Tour: 2017 Updated information about Half Day Tour including times, itineraries, prices, and FAQs!
Lake Titicaca Half Day Tour – Brief Overview
- Morning or afternoon tours available.
- Half Day Tours last approximately 2.5 hours.
- Most tour companies pick you up and drop you off to your hotel in Puno.
- Half Day Tours visit the main Uros Floating Island.
- If taking Peru Hop or Bolivia Hop, it is possible to arrive, do the tour, and leave on the same day.
- Ideal Lake Titicaca Tour for those short on time.
Lake Titicaca Short Tour Guide Contents:
1. Half Day Tour Information – Check start time, prices, and more.
2. How to get to Lake Titicaca – Compare transportation options.
3. What to bring? – Be prepared for your tour.
4. FAQs – We answer your frequently asked questions.
5. Did you know? – Lake Titicaca fun facts.
6. Photo Gallery – A few of the best photos of Lake Titicaca.
Half Day Tour Information
Half Day Tour Information:
Peru Hop does not operate any tours on Lake Titicaca. To see Peru Hop’s recommended operators for this tour read below.
2 Hour Floating Islands Tour with Lago Explorer
Price: S/.35 soles (or $10 USD)
Duration: 2 hours
Option 1: Morning Tour
Departures: Monday-Saturday (morning option)
Departure Time: 06:30am (be ready for pick up at 06:00am)
Return Time: 08:30am
Option 2: Afternoon Tour
Departures: Everyday (afternoon option)
Departure Time: 16:00pm (be ready for pick up at 15:30pm)
Return Time: 18:00pm
Special deal for Peru Hop Passengers – Tours booked with Lago Explorer via FindLocalTrips.com allow date changes up until the evening before your tour begins at no extra cost.
Detailed Itinerary Short Tour:
06:00 – 06:30am
Hostel/Hotel pick up.
06:30am – 08:30am
Boat out to Lake Titicaca for a guided tour of the floating islands. Find out how the Uros people make their home islands entirely from one of the lake reeds, totora, and how they forge a subsistent lifestyle floating in the middle of Lake Titicaca! There are lots of lessons to be learned about the relationship of the Uros people and their natural environment.
Out of the ‘totora’ reed not only do they make the entirety of these intriguing floating islands on which they live, but it also contributes towards shelter, transport (reed boats) and nutrition. The totora reed is also a source of iodine traditionally used to prevent thyroid tumours, and even has pain and hangover relief properties.
The days of subsistence living are gone and tourism is now one of the greatest incomes on the islands. The islands have become a victim of their own success and are very popular with tourists. That being said, the history and subsistence of these incredible people is a truly unique experience not to be missed…who knows if there will be the chance to do so in years to come…
(The afternoon itinerary is similar)
- Boat transport
- English speaking guide
- Entry ticket to Uros Floating Islands
- Reed Boat Ride (Kontiki) in Uros Islands: S/.10 soles – this is OPTIONAL but the locals will try to sell this to you.
If you are looking for information about Lake Titicaca Tours, visit FindLocalTrips.com where you can compare itineraries, operators and prices.
How to get to Lake Titicaca
How to get to Lake Titicaca:
Lake Titicaca lies on the border between Peru and Bolivia. On the Peruvian shore sits the city of Puno, while on the Bolivian side lies Copacabana
If you are looking for information on the best buses to take to Puno or Copacabana, visit our passes page. Select your departure city, the countries you want to visit, and amount of time you have to travel. Then browse our passes to see which include your desired stop in Puno or Copacabana.
What to bring?
What to bring?
- Light backpack
- Sunscreen (very important)
- Sweater or jacket (very important)
- Basics like toilet paper, personal medications, etc
- Money for tips.
Can I take the morning tour at 06.30am and be back in time to take the bus from Puno to Copacabana at 08.30am?
Yes, you can join the 2 hour tour before departing from Puno. Simply select book now in the Tour Information tab, select the 2 Hour Uros Island Tour Option 1 at 6:30am and select Book Now. Select your hotel/hostel as your pickup location for the tour. Since you are taking the tour with the operator we recommend and work with, you will then be picked up directly from the tour for the bus from Puno to Copacabana at 08:30am. Keep in mind that the tour runs every day except for Sunday.
Do the tour prices include the island entry fees? Do I need to take extra money?
Yes, all of the tour prices include the associated island entry fees. If heading to the islands of Taquile and Amantani we advise to take some money for souvenirs as they are renowned for some of the finest woven goods in Peru.
Does the tour include a ride on one of the traditional reed boats?
No, this experience is optional and can be paid directly to the locals on the island.
Did you know?
Did you know?
- Lake Titicaca is the world’s highest navigable lake at over 3800m above sea level!
- The locals speak their own local language on the islands (not Spanish or Quechua).
- The islands of Taquile and Amantani are so remote that they were used as high security prison islands during the Spanish Rule in Peru.
- Over 25 rivers flow into Lake Titicaca.
- 56% of the area of the Lake belongs to Peru and 44% belongs to Bolivia.
- According to Inca legend the principal God, Inti (the Sun God), lived on one of the islands on the Bolivia side of the lake, Isla Del Sol (Island of the Sun). Here, he created his son and daughter, Manco Capac and Mama Ocllo, the very first Incas who later travelled North to found Cusco at the heart of what would become the Inca Empire!