One Day in Lima The 10 Best Things To Do2020 Update: Lima has so much to offer, being one of the largest cities in South America and with a long history behind it. If you’re only here for a short amount of time and looking for something to do, here are the 10 Best Things To Do in Lima in one day!
If you want to escape Lima for just a day, check out our DAY TRIPS FROM LIMA, where you can see sea lions, penguins, sand dunes and even a unique Desert Oasis, all in just one day!
1. Free Walking Tour LimaHere at Peru hop, we say the best way to truly discover a place is through the eyes of a local and Lima is no exception. Explore the capital city with Free Walking Tour Lima where you’ll experience the culture and history that led to present-day Lima. Tours depart daily at 9:50 am from the Tourist Information Center located in Miraflores. From there, the tour heads off to the historical center of Lima to some of the most renowned spots in the capital city where the guides explain, in detail, the history of each of those places. Alternatively, you can take on the tour of Miraflores, which leaves daily at 3 pm from the Tourist Information Center.
2. Sample Traditional Cuisine at Saha
Take the time to enjoy the best local cuisine in Lima. Saha offers a refreshing combination of modern and traditional Peruvian cuisine. Sit back and relax as you enjoy the layout of Lima’s best up and coming restaurant. The world-class chefs of Saha dictate the menu in order to give visitors the best experience possible of Peruvian food, and the extensive cocktail menu leaves nothing to be wanted. If you eat out anywhere in Lima, make it Saha.
Address: Calle Bolívar 164 , Miraflores
Phone: (01) 5048355
3. MirabusGo around Lima on one of Mirabus’ panoramic buses and enjoy the view of the city while learning about its history. You can choose to either sit on the first floor to have a more peaceful experience or on the second floor to see more of the capital. Tours are daily (day & night) and all of them depart from Parque Kennedy located in Miraflores. You can choose from visiting the historic center at day or night, discovering Pachacamac also known as Lima’s Machu Picchu and much more!
4. Circuito Magico del Agua (Water Fountain Park)Parque de la Reserva is a beautiful park and a nice place to visit during the day but at night this park becomes truly magical. Once night time comes, their famous fountains light up and make for a truly spectacular sight. The entry fee is 4 Soles and it is well worth it to see these beautiful lights. If you are only spending one day in Lima, the fountains are the ideal choice for you.
5. Swim with Sea Lions at the Palomino’s IslandWildlife lovers can’t miss this adventure whilst visiting Lima – What better way to spend your day than by swimming alongside sea lions, spying birds and Humboldt penguins! The Palomino’s Islands are home to large colonies of seabird. This fantastic tour in Callao can be booked on FindLocalTrips.com; Get in the boat and explore these islands full of life!
6. The Peruvian ExperienceIf you want to experience a taste of everything that Peru has to offer in just a couple short hours, don’t miss out on The Peruvian Experience! This state-of-the-art facility in Miraflores will take you on a whirlwind tour through Peru’s culture and cuisine. You’ll learn about the country’s fascinating history through an immersive multimedia presentation, learn how to make ceviche or causa with real Peruvian chefs, visit a classic bar and mix up your own Pisco sour, learn to dance festejo and much more! The Peruvian Experience makes a perfect first stop for those who want a primer on Peruvian culture, or a great way to fit a lot of unique experiences into one trip for those short on time.
7. Huaca PucllanaGet up close and personal with pre-Inca history. These incredible ruins are located right in the heart of Miraflores, and are a window into history. There is also a world class restaurant within the ruins, where you can enjoy Peruvian food from every corner of the country. Visit at night for an unbelievable view of the ruins lit up.
8. Paraglide by the coastIf the view of coast of Miraflores, Barranco and San Isidro is beautiful from sea level, imagine having a bird’s eye view of the whole thing! Not as extreme as it sounds, paragliding by the coast is the perfect day activity to catch the green areas, ocean and the urban buildings of Lima’s coast with a 360° view.
9. BarrancoThis district is probably the coolest place in Lima and the perfect escape from Miraflores for a couple of hours. Barranco has great historical architecture and a blooming art scene. At night, Barranco transforms into Lima’s party district with great restaurants and themed alternative bars for Peruvians and foreigners alike. One of the most interesting places to see, is Puente de los Suspiros. This bridge lies in the main part of the district where it connects two main streets. It is said that if you can cross the bridge while holding your breath, your wish will be granted.
Another great location is the MATE museum that was founded by famous Peruvian fashion photographer Mario Testino. Located in a restored 19th century mansion, the museum exhibits the best of national and international contemporary art and photography. The museum offers guided tours, workshops and talks. A great way to get around this wonderful place and ensure that you see as much it as possible is with a Bike tour of Barranco.